Fabulous! We like spicy, so I used a cayenne oil, and we ended up with a salsa with balanced heat. We grilled the chicken outside, and we're going to take the left over salsa with us to have this meal again for a camp dinner this weekend!
Chicken with Quick Chile Verde
Serve with Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad and Herbed Corn Muffins. Or serve with Rosemary-Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Snap Pea and Radish Sauté. If you can't find fresh tomatillos, substitute canned whole tomatillos and use less salt. Grilled lime wedges are a zesty garnish.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 29 Minutes
- Calories: 258
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 7.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 494mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces tomatillos, coarsely chopped (about 3)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad
- Herbed Corn Muffins
- Rosemary-Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Snap Pea and Radish Sauté
- 1. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- 2. While chicken cooks, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, onion, and next 5 ingredients (through jalapeño); cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Place tomatillo mixture in a blender; add lime juice. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Pulse 10 times or until a chunky salsa forms. Spoon tomatillo mixture over chicken; sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note