good comfort food; spinach salad rounds it out for a meal!
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken
- 4 carrots
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers (about 24 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Combine first 6 ingredients and water to cover in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken and cool.
- Pour 6 cups broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding solids. Reserve remaining broth for later use. Whisk 6 tablespoons butter, bouillon granules, and poultry seasoning into strained broth until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread dough to a 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly greased baking sheet, forming 1 large hoecake.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack; break into pieces.
- Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Layer chicken and hoecake pieces in a lightly greased 13-x 9-inch baking dish. Whisk together chicken broth mixture and eggs; pour evenly over chicken and hoecake pieces.
- Stir together cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle evenly over top of chicken mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note