good comfort food; spinach salad rounds it out for a meal!
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken
- 4 carrots
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers (about 24 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- Combine first 6 ingredients and water to cover in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken and cool.
- Pour 6 cups broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding solids. Reserve remaining broth for later use. Whisk 6 tablespoons butter, bouillon granules, and poultry seasoning into strained broth until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread dough to a 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly greased baking sheet, forming 1 large hoecake.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack; break into pieces.
- Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Layer chicken and hoecake pieces in a lightly greased 13-x 9-inch baking dish. Whisk together chicken broth mixture and eggs; pour evenly over chicken and hoecake pieces.
- Stir together cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle evenly over top of chicken mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This