Chicken Potpie Turnovers
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cup(s) low-fat milk plus 1 tablespoon
- 5 sprig(s) thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 5 whole(s) shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 whole(s) medium carrots chopped
- 1 whole(s) small onion chopped
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 whole(s) egg white
- 8 whole(s) frozen 7-inch empanada dough disks thawed
- 1 - In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken, 2 cups milk, 3 sprigs thyme, and 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to a simmer. Continue to simmer until chicken is cooked, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cool. Dice meat and set aside. Strain hot milk from saucepan and set aside 1 cup. Discard the remainder of contents.
- 2 - Preheat oven to 400F. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Saute mushrooms until soft, about 4 minutes. Add carrots and onion, reduce heat to medium, and cook until carrots are soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove leaves from remaining thyme sprigs and add to skillet, along with peas and reserved chicken and milk; bring to a simmer.
- 3 - In a small dish, stir together cornstarch and 3 tablespoons cold water. Add to skillet and stir over high until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- 4 - In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white and remaining 1 tablespoon milk. Place empanada disks on 2 parchment-paper-lined baking pans. Divide chicken filling among empanada disks, leaving 1/2-inch borders around edges. Dampen edges with egg wash and fold dough over to create turnovers. Crimp edges with a fork to seal. Lightly brush tops of turnovers with egg wash. Bake until crusts are golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning pans halfway through.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by YUMMY80 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken Potpie Turnovers Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes