This is an excellent recipe for a hearty, tasty family dinner. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that it lacked vegetables. Pot pies should be whole meals so I'd add peas and chopped carrots in the filling. You can read my full review at Taking On Magazines: http://bit.ly/19OoCiV
Chicken Potpie with Chive Biscuits
End your busy day with this comfort food favorite—Chicken Potpie with Chive Biscuits. This one-dish meal is a perfect make-ahead recipe. Prepare the filling through step ! up to two days in advance and store covered in your refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before continuing with the rest of the recipe.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 520
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Protein: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz. each, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 3 oz. each, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Make filling: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Pour in broth and increase heat to high. Boil, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet, until mixture is thick, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in half-and-half. Add chicken and cook until firm, turning once or twice, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°F; line a large baking sheet with foil. Make biscuit topping: In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse briefly to mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, add 1 cup buttermilk all at once. Add chives and process just until dough forms a ball. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for about 10 seconds. Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a 2-inch cookie cutter to form biscuits. Gather dough, roll out and cut out more biscuits (you should have about 16 total). Place on top of filling. Brush biscuits with 2 Tbsp. buttermilk. Place baking dish on lined sheet and bake until filling bubbles and biscuits are lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Make It Ahead: Prepare the filling through Step 1 up to two days in advance. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before proceeding. To Freeze: Make the pie but do not bake. Freeze uncovered until firm, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil and return to freezer. To reheat, uncover, re-cover in foil and bake at 375ºF for 1 hour. Raise heat to 425ºF, remove foil and bake 20 minutes longer, until filling bubbles and biscuits are lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note