This was easy and delicious. I chose this recipe to get rid of some extra spinach and was lucky to discover what my family calls "a keeper". I love to cook and only repeat the most delicious recipes. I will definitely repeat this one.
Chicken and Potatoes over Sautéed Spinach
This recipe exemplifies the Chinese technique of red cooking--braising meat in a flavorful combination of soy sauce, ginger, alcohol, and spices. Serve in shallow rimmed soup bowls so you can enjoy all the broth. Sautéed mustard greens would also be good with this dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 343
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 29.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.4g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 6.2mg
- Sodium: 846mg
- Calcium: 170mg
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek (about 4 large)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup julienne-cut peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 (10-ounce) packages fresh spinach, divided
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add chicken; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes; return to a simmer. Cover and cook 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and pepper.
- Heat oils in another Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of spinach; cook 1 minute, tossing constantly. Add remaining spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, tossing constantly. Serve chicken mixture over spinach.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note