Chicken and Potato Dumplings
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 2/3 cup milk
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cool chicken and broth.
- Skim fat from broth. Skin, bone, and cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Whisk soup and minced onion into broth; bring to a boil.
- Stir together biscuit mix, potato flakes, and milk. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 1/2-inch strips. Pinch off 1/2-inch pieces, and drop, 1 at a time, into boiling broth; add chicken. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Quick Tip: Substitute 8 cups chicken broth for water; reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Proceed with recipe using 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note