- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash browns
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup frozen small sweet peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
How to Make It
Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 425°. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add all-purpose flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 6 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in Creole seasoning.
Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and mushrooms, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, next 4 ingredients, and sauce. Spoon filling into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Cut butter cubes into self-rising flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Add cheese, bacon, chives, and whipping cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to form 15 biscuits.
Bake Chicken Pie Filling at 425° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and arrange biscuits on top of hot chicken mixture. Bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven, and brush biscuits with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.