Harvest Time Chicken Pot Pie
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursell
More From Coastal Living
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups peeled and chopped turnip
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 ounces Swiss chard, tough stems removed and leaves chopped (4 cups loosely packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until well browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- 3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add turnip and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until softened. Add flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer.
- 4. Stir in chicken, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in Swiss chard and thyme, and simmer 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice.
- 5. Spoon vegetable mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish. Place puff pastry over filling, tucking edges of pastry into dish, if necessary. Cut several slits in pastry to vent steam; brush top of pastry with egg.
- 6. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note