Very comforting and tasty. I added some fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, and basil) along with extra black pepper. I browned the chicken breasts whole and simmered in the soup to cook through, then pulled them out and shredded them to add back at the end. At the end, I also tossed in a handful of frozen peas. And like others. I used the whole box of mini pierogi. The finished soup was a bit thicker than I would like, so I added an extra 1/2 c. broth and I got one extra bowl. I will make again when craving chicken and dumplings but want something quick.
Chicken and Pierogi Dumplings
The browned veggies lend color and flavor to the sauce; be sure to keep them moving in the pan so they don't get too brown.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 36 Minutes
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Carbohydrate: 35.4g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 555mg
- Calcium: 127mg
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 20 frozen potato and cheddar mini pierogies (such as Mrs. T's)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- 2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and thyme to pan. Cook 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Combine stock, milk, and flour in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Gradually add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and pierogies, and cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done and pierogies are warm. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note