It all sounded so good when I read the recipe and the favorable reviews, and I am one who enjoys the process of chopping and prepping, but in the end the results were very disappointing. The pasta with vegetables, which I expected to be the star and the reason I chose this recipe was lackluster at best, and the Chicken Piccata was ordinary.
Chicken Piccata with Summer Vegetable Pasta
"This recipe reflects how my family tries to eat. We keep vegetables and whole grains as the bulk of the meal, and then use lean proteins and other ingredients to add flavor." -Erin Mylroie, St. George, UT
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 588
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 57.8g
- Carbohydrate: 62.3g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 798mg
- Calcium: 267mg
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) strips red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick-cut zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups matchstick-cut yellow squash (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat blend spaghetti
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown. Place onion mixture in a large bowl; keep warm. Return pan to medium-high heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini and yellow squash; sauté 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add squash mixture to reserved onion mixture. Keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and basil; toss to combine. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in flour, turning to coat; shake off excess flour.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add broth, juice, and capers to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add green onions, butter, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; stir until butter melts.
- Arrange about 1 cup pasta mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 chicken breast half, 1/4 cup sauce, and 1 tablespoon remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note