Continue the Italian theme and serve this dish with hot cooked pasta, Insalata Balsamico, and crusty bread.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 2 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can reduced-sodium Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- 2. Stir together egg and 1/4 cup water.
- 3. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- 4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken breast halves, and brown on each side.
- 5. Arrange chicken in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish or individual gratin dishes.
- 6. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Pour mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 7. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note