- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 chicken breast tenders (about 12 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 (2-ounce) sandwich rolls
- 1 cup bottled tomato-and-basil pasta sauce, warmed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 485
- fat 14 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 38 g
- carbohydrate 55 g
- fiber 7 g
- cholesterol 66 mg
- iron 16 mg
- sodium 942 mg
- calcium 227 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Mix breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese in a separate shallow dish. Dip chicken tenders in egg whites, then dredge in breadcrumbs.
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Set aside.
Slice the rolls in half horizontally. Place rolls on a baking sheet, crust side down, and broil 8 inches from heat until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
Spread some pasta sauce over bottom halves of rolls; top with chicken tenders, cutting to fit, if necessary. Top with more sauce; then sprinkle each with shredded provolone and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Place bottom halves under broiler to melt the cheese, about 3 minutes. Top with the remaining roll halves, and serve immediately.
Quick tip: This'll give you 20 percent of your daily calcium.