Im old world Italian, and Chicken Parm is usually a dry, breaded, bland piece of blah. Or its americanized; overly caked with ShakeNBake blends and lost in a fat blanket of bad cheese. But this recipe is OUTSTANDING. I wasn't expecting anything special, but the coating (I use Panko Breadcrumbs and blended in my own ratio of Italian spices) was light and crispy, and the red pepper added a really nice surprise kick to the dish. I followed the directions to a T and was just so pleased. So was my boyfriend who "stays away from Chicken Parm". Still quick and simple, but by no means ordinary. This recipe made into the family recipe box!
Whip up homemade chicken parmesan for an Italian-inspired meal that's perfect for busy weeknights.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and ground red pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Place chicken between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Dip 1 chicken breast in egg whites, and coat with breadcrumb mixture. Dip again in egg mixture, and coat again in breadcrumb mixture.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken breast.
- Cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top evenly with Tomato Sauce and cheeses.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheeses melt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note