This recipe looks like a no salt version unless they are assuming the salt is in the breadcrumbs. Anyway, I added 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. I also serve this over spaghetti so I don't want to drown the chicken in sauce, just a 1/4 cup over the breasts in the last 5 min of cooking, covered with the cheeses. PS- I disagree with the 1/4 inch thick breasts. 1/2 inch is about right. If you have thick pieces slice them down the middle and then pound down to 1/2" thick. (If you fry for 2 minutes per side- cook in oven at 375 for about 12 min.) Serve over spaghetti with sauce and parmesan on it. Crispy and delicious!
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and ground red pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Place chicken between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Dip 1 chicken breast in egg whites, and coat with breadcrumb mixture. Dip again in egg mixture, and coat again in breadcrumb mixture.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken breast.
- Cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top evenly with Tomato Sauce and cheeses.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheeses melt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes