- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 quarts water
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 (12-ounce) containers fresh select oysters, drained
- 2 teaspoons filé powder, (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Brown chicken in hot shortening in a large Dutch oven. Remove from Dutch oven; drain well, reserving shortening in Dutch oven.
Add flour to hot shortening; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until roux is the color of a copper penny. Add chopped onion; cover, and cook 10 minutes.
Gradually add water to roux, stirring until well blended. Stir in chicken, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add green onion tops and parsley; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in oysters, and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in filé powder to thicken gumbo, if desired. Serve gumbo over rice.