I only made the chicken nuggets and they came out great. I used chicken tenders (easier to cut up) and added paprika, salt and pepper to the panko crumbs. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to a T. I was worried that 12 minutes wouldn't be enough, but they were perfectly cooked, but still tender and moist. This is a make-again!
Chicken Nuggets with Crispy Potato Chips and Honey Mustard
Use a mandoline for quick, uniform potato slices, keeping the purple and white slices separate, as cook times may vary. For speedier prep time, make the chips while the chicken marinates.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 24 Minutes
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.8g
- Carbohydrate: 20.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- Chicken nuggets:
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Potato chips:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium purple sweet potato (about 8 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium baking potato (about 8 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. To prepare the chicken nuggets, combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- 2. Place panko in a large skillet; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Place panko in a zip-top plastic bag. Combine 2 tablespoons water and egg in a shallow dish; dip half of chicken in egg mixture. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Remove chicken from bag; arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining egg mixture, panko, and chicken. Bake chicken at 400° for 12 minutes or until done.
- 5. To prepare chips, combine oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add potatoes; toss gently to coat. Place microwave plate over parchment paper. Cut paper to fit plate. Cover plate with parchment paper; arrange purple potato slices in a single layer over paper. Microwave at HIGH for 4 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and begin to brown. Repeat procedure with baking potatoes, reusing parchment paper.
- 6. To prepare sauce, combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Serve with chicken nuggets and potato chips.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note