- 1 (5-pound) stewing hen, cut up
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3 quarts water
- Homemade Noodles
How to Make It
Combine all ingredients, except Homemade Noodles, in a large stock pot; bring to a boil. Skim surface frequently with a flat ladle to remove grayish scum. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool. Remove chicken; cool. Bone chicken, and coarsely chop meat. Set chicken aside.
Strain stock through several layers of damp cheesecloth; discard vegetables and spices. Skim off any excess fat, and return stock to stock pot.
Bring stock to a boil; stir in Homemade Noodles. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in reserved chicken, and heat thoroughly. Ladle soup into warm serving bowls, and serve immediately.