Although I used parsley instead of cilantro (since my daughter does not like it) which likely contributed to the extremely mild flavor, next time I would keep the ginger and lemongrass in the broth for flavor instead of removing before adding other ingredients. I would just cut it smaller. I might also add a little chili paste to it.
Chicken Noodle Bowl with Edamame and Straw Mushrooms
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup noodles and about 1 1/4 cups chicken mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 318
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 26.4g
- Carbohydrate: 36.6g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 860mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 2 peeled fresh lemongrass stalks
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces uncooked wide rice sticks (rice-flour noodles)
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups frozen blanched shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1/3 cup diagonally cut carrot
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Lightly crush lemongrass using the side of a knife; slice stalks into 2-inch pieces. Combine lemongrass pieces, broth, and ginger in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Remove lemongrass pieces and ginger using a slotted spoon; discard.
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Add chicken strips to broth; increase heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes. Add edamame, carrot, soy sauce, and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and green onions.
- Divide the rice noodles evenly among each of 5 soup bowls. Ladle chicken mixture over noodles. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This