wonderful! had my mother in-law over for valentines dinner,,,,,served with mashed patatos & fresh asparagus,,, will make again
Chicken and Mushrooms with Marsala Wine Sauce
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Try a lighter take on classic chicken marsala with this dish dressed in mushrooms and a marsala wine sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles to soak up the tasty sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and about 1/2 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 48.2g
- Carbohydrate: 20.3g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 6.1mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Calcium: 50mg
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves
- 1. Place porcini mushrooms in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse; drain well. Thinly slice.
- 2. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound chicken to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Combine 3 teaspoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- 3. Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, porcini, shiitake, button mushrooms, and oregano; sauté 6 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and darken. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Add chicken and tomatoes; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, turning chicken once. Sprinkle with basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes