You definitely need to add some spice to this dish, but my husband and father-in-law loved it! I chopped some cilantro to add as well as some salsa...green or red, your choice. I didn't have fresh jalapeno's but I had pickled jalapeno's which gave it a bit of a different flavor and not as spicy. I also sliced some red cabbage and added it to the tacos. I was told to add this dish to my frequently made dishes!
Chicken and Mushroom Tacos
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Add a side of fat-free refried beans topped with your favorite salsa.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 29.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 389mg
- Calcium: 316mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups presliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add jalapeño; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over onion mixture; sauté 1 minute. Remove onion mixture from pan.
- 2. Return pan to heat; recoat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add Madeira to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Stir in onion mixture and chicken; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 3. Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cheese; fold in half. Serve with sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This