Great substitute for a NOLA muffaletta. We are BIG Central Grocery fans and have carried the original sandwich home (on our laps--sniff, sniff! what's that smell?) on flights back to Chicago. I oven roasted my own boneless chicken breast (highly seasoned with Italian herbs, salt, pepper, garlic), used a small jar of prepared Chicago style giardinera (instead of the recipe's olive salad), used a thin layer of low fat salami instead of chopping salami, and slices of smoked provolone as well as some basil leaves and baby spinach. Hollowed out a ciabatta loaf. Could only keep the troops at bay for a couple of hours for refrigeration of the assembled sandwich. It was fabulous!
This make-ahead sandwich is a lighter take on an old New Orleans favorite. Use a fork to scrape the bread and hollow the loaves.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 piece)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Carbohydrate: 44.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 1004mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 3 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 2 medium)
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups diced peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (about 7 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini (about 5 medium)
- 4 ounces sharp provolone cheese, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 cup (2 ounces) chopped reduced-fat hard salami
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 (8-ounce) loaves French bread
- 1 pound skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Spread tomato evenly onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender and beginning to brown. Stir in thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Spoon eggplant mixture into a large bowl.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Add tomato; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir tomato into eggplant mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir olives and next 5 ingredients (through vinegar) into eggplant mixture.
- Cut French bread loaves in half horizontally. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Spread about 3 tablespoons olive mixture over bottom half of each loaf. Arrange chicken evenly on bottom halves. Top chicken evenly with remaining 3 tablespoons olive mixture; cover with top halves of loaves. Wrap loaves with plastic wrap; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Cut each loaf into 3 pieces just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches