- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 1/4-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- 5 to 6 drops hot sauce
- 1/4 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
How to Make It
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; sauté on all sides in melted butter until brown. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.
Add onion, green pepper, and garlic to skillet; sauté until tender. Stir in next 9 ingredients; add chicken. Reduce heat, and cook, covered, 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken to serving platter, and keep warm.
Combine cornstarch and water; mix well. Add to sauce in skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Spoon sauce over chicken.