This was delicious! Very filling!! This is not a complaint, but I either measured wrong or the word vegetable should definitely appear in the title, because this soup is FILLED with vegetables! I ground my own organic chicken breast in the food processor, used egg whites, and ditalini pasta instead of shells. The meatballs are to die for, my fiancé is already asking me to figure out other things to incorporate them into. I will make this recipe again, next time making a larger batch to freeze for leftovers.
Chicken Meatball Soup with Pasta
Using ground chicken breast makes the meatballs lower in fat than when using ground beef. If you can't find it, substitute ground turkey breast. This recipe teaches uniformity of size to ensure that all of the meatballs finish cooking at the same time.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 302
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 36.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.8g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 920mg
- Calcium: 109mg
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups water
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare meatballs, combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl; shape mixture into 48 (1-inch) meatballs. Place meatballs on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until done.
- To prepare soup, bring water and broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add celery, onions, and frozen vegetables; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until done. Add meatballs; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Place 6 meatballs in each of 8 bowls; divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle evenly with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note