I love this soup on a cold day. I used alphabet shaped pasta to add a kid-friendly touch. I also added thinly sliced pieces of white mushrooms. It was a great way to get my 4 year old daughter to eat from leafy greens! She loved it!!
Chicken Meatball and Greens Soup
Photo: Mark Thomas; Styling: Gerri Williams
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 102mg
- Sodium: 1491mg
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 10 cup torn mixed greens such as kale, chard and escarole
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup miniature pasta or orzo
- Grated Parmesan, optional
- 1. Make meatballs: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mist a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients, mixing thoroughly with your hands. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls, moistening hands with water if mixture is sticky, and place in a single layer on baking sheet (make sure meatballs are not touching). Bake for 10 minutes, shaking sheet halfway through.
- 2. Make soup: In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over high heat. Add meatballs, greens, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pasta; cook, uncovered, until pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or as package label directs.
- 3. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with grated Parmesan just before serving, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note