This was really, really good. My family rated it A+. I followed the recipe almost exactly except doubled it to serve 6 in our family & have leftovers. The only change I will make next time will be to increase the flour to make the gravy a bit thicker. Served it with the Lime green beans from the same issue of CL. My 12 year old said "We should have green beans like this every time." Tasty meal!
Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
The gravy is the standout, perfect for stirring into mashed potatoes. Serve with quick-cooking greens like spinach or kale for an easy, family-friendly meal.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 24 Minutes
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 17.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 41g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 126mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup quick-mixing flour (such as Wondra), divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 12 ounces frozen mashed potatoes (such as Ore-Ida Steam n' Mash)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- 2. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. Add stock to pan; bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Cook potatoes according to package directions. Combine potatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and milk in a medium bowl; mash to desired consistency. Serve with chicken and gravy. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This