Followed the recipe as is with the exception of the peas and it came out terrific. Served it over wide egg noodles. My picky eater 7 year old thought it was too sweet/tangy so you can adjust the amount of the Marsala wine to suite your families palate. When I make this again I would leave it as is. Everyone else in the family gobbled it up.
This delicious chicken marsala recipe turns an Italian classic into a quick and easy family favorite.
Clarified butter (butter without the milk solids) is ideal for searing meats because it can be heated to a high temperature without burning. Although you can purchase clarified butter, we detail how to make it below in the first step.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 585
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 8.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 51.4g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 133mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 469mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- Place 3 tablespoons butter in a small glass measuring cup. Microwave butter at MEDIUM-HIGH 45 seconds or until melted. Let stand 1 minute. Skim foam from surface, and discard. (Mixture will appear separated.) Pour melted butter through a fine sieve over a small bowl, and discard the milk solids. Set the clarified butter aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates; remove mushroom mixture from pan. Set aside.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to a 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken breast halves in flour.
- Add clarified butter to pan, and place over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan. Return mushroom mixture to pan; add broth and Marsala, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Stir in peas; cook 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon butter, half-and-half, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, stirring until butter melts. Return chicken to pan; cook until thoroughly heated. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note