Agree with the other reviewer concerning amount of work and texture. I also left out the jalapeno and I thought the flavor was good. Might make again--I made most of the Texas Thanksgiving menu (Southern Living 2013) and liked the theme of thyme and rosemary through the menu.
Chicken Liver Pâté
Photo: Jody Horton; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- 2 cups milk
- 4 bacon slices
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. Rinse livers, and pat dry with paper towels. Place livers in a large bowl, and add 1 cup milk; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain livers, and return to bowl. Add remaining 1 cup milk; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain livers, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Finely chop bacon.
- 3. Cook livers, in batches, in hot drippings over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done. Remove livers with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, and wipe skillet clean.
- 4. Sauté garlic, jalapeño, and next 2 ingredients in melted butter in skillet over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in bourbon, salt, and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
- 5. Process livers, bacon, and garlic mixture in a food processor 60 to 90 seconds or until smooth. Add softened butter, and process 10 seconds or until blended. Transfer to a bowl; cover and chill 4 hours.
- Note: Chopped, cooked bacon may be omitted from the pâté and used as a topping instead, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers