Agree with the other reviewer concerning amount of work and texture. I also left out the jalapeno and I thought the flavor was good. Might make again--I made most of the Texas Thanksgiving menu (Southern Living 2013) and liked the theme of thyme and rosemary through the menu.
Chicken Liver Pâté
Serve this earthy, rustic spread with grilled bread and Cranberry-Pecan Chutney.
More From Southern Living
Total: 6 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- 2 cups milk
- 4 bacon slices
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. Rinse livers, and pat dry with paper towels. Place livers in a large bowl, and add 1 cup milk; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain livers, and return to bowl. Add remaining 1 cup milk; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain livers, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Finely chop bacon.
- 3. Cook livers, in batches, in hot drippings over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done. Remove livers with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, and wipe skillet clean.
- 4. Sauté garlic, jalapeño, and next 2 ingredients in melted butter in skillet over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in bourbon, salt, and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
- 5. Process livers, bacon, and garlic mixture in a food processor 60 to 90 seconds or until smooth. Add softened butter, and process 10 seconds or until blended. Transfer to a bowl; cover and chill 4 hours.
- Note: Chopped, cooked bacon may be omitted from the pâté and used as a topping instead, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note