Chicken and Leeks Braised in Wine
Cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces, the leeks soften and develop a delicate flavor but remain intact for a nice presentation. The Greek flavors in this dish call for a salad of crisp lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and feta topped with a lemon-mint dressing. Rice or oven-baked potatoes would complete the meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 357
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 30.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.7g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 8.2mg
- Sodium: 624mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- Cooking spray
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 leeks, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cups Riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (1 x 5-inch) orange rind strip
- 3 cups diced seeded peeled tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add leeks to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove from pan.
- Add coriander and cinnamon; cook 30 seconds. Add wine and next 5 ingredients (wine through rind), and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Add leeks. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and cook 8 minutes.
- Add tomato; bring to a boil. Uncover and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove cinnamon, bay leaves, and rind.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chopped oregano. Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note