Easy, delightfully spicy and satisfying. However, I never could locate the shrimp paste.
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 494
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 1455mg
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 to 8 dried arbol chiles, stemmed
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste*
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 ounces mung bean sprouts, rinsed
- 8 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- Lime wedges
- Sambal oelek chili paste*
- 1. Grind coriander, peppercorns, cumin, fennel, cloves, turmeric, and chiles coarsely in a spice grinder. Peel tough outer layers from lemongrass, then mash core with a meat mallet or small, heavy frying pan.
- 2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chicken, shrimp paste, shallots, and reserved spices and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- 3. Pour in coconut milk, broth, sugar, and salt; add cinnamon and lemongrass. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- 4. Boil bean sprouts in a large pot of boiling water until softened, 2 minutes. Transfer sprouts to a bowl. Add noodles to pot and cook until firm, 4 minutes. Drain; rinse well.
- 5. Divide sprouts and noodles among 6 bowls. Ladle in soup (remove cinnamon and lemongrass) and top with mint and cilantro. Serve with limes and sambal.
- *Find in the Asian aisle of a well-stocked grocery store or at an Asian market.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This