Simple recipe that is easy to make for a crowd. Served with coconut rice and a raita, it was a major hit at a recent potluck. For that particular party I cooked it on a stovetop for about an hour rather than slowcooking it. I do think it would be better cooked lower and slower but was in a rush. I I The "sitting for 15 minutes" step before stirring in the yogurt is to avoid the yogurt curdling. You can avoid this by tempering, stirring the yogurt into a portion of the dish in a separate bowl, then stir that into the whole. If you're using non-fat yogurt, this step is pretty much required. Like many Indian-inspired cooking light recipes, the spices in this recipe need to be increased in my opinion. This one is suitable for cautious eaters and children pretty much as is. I'm sure I increased the ginger substantially though I didn't measure. I also added some dried curry leaves because I had them and felt fancy. Many happy eaters, though, and this one is a keeper.
If you prefer milder foods, reduce or omit the crushed red pepper. Add warm naan on the side of this classic Indian dish.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 297
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 26.7g
- Carbohydrate: 34.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 507mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion (1 onion)
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 2 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Stir in potato and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon stick).
- 2. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Turn slow cooker off; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in yogurt. Serve chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note