I LOVED this recipe. I didn't have any dill for some reason so I used dried chives. The chicken was tender and flavorful...perfect! My husband raved about it too. I will make this one again, for sure!
Make sure the herbed butter is thoroughly chilled so it moistens and flavors the inside of the chicken as it cooks and doesn't seep out. The herbed butter is also nice with fish.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and about 1 cup potatoes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 413
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 48.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 856mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 1/2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- Combine 2 tablespoons butter, dill, 1/8 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl, stirring well. Chill 1 hour.
- Slice chicken breast halves lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying chicken flat. Place each chicken breast half between two sheets of plastic wrap; pound to a 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
- Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons butter mixture on the small end of each chicken breast half, and roll up jelly-roll fashion. Tuck in sides, and secure each roll with wooden picks. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Combine 2 tablespoons water and egg whites in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 3 cups. Microwave 2 1/2 teaspoons butter at HIGH 15 seconds or until melted. Combine melted butter and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish; toss well. Dip 1 chicken breast half in egg white mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Dip chicken breast half in egg white mixture again; dredge in breadcrumb mixture again. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken breast halves, egg white mixture, and breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken breast halves, seam sides down, in a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bake chicken at 425° for 35 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove wooden picks before serving.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; coat potatoes with cooking spray. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss. Bake potatoes at 425° for 40 minutes or until tender, turning once after 30 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a bowl, and toss with remaining 2 teaspoons butter. Serve with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note