Really good chicken - picky teenagers even liked it. This is the second time I've made it - last time I also thought the chickpea salad was a little bland. This time I added some fresh dill and a dash of garlic and a couple of teaspoons of white pepper to the oil and vinegar dressing, and I chopped the onions instead of slices, and added some choppped cucumber. I poured the dressing over the salad and let it sit in the fridge while I grilled the chicken. It was better and had much more flavor.
Chicken Kebabs with Chickpea Salad
Photo: Marcus Nilsson
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 4g
- Protein: 21g
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 8 8-inch skewers (metal or wood)
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
In a shallow baking dish, combine the yogurt, garlic, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Thread the chicken onto the skewers and set them in the yogurt marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes or overnight.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, celery, parsley, oil, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook on a well-oiled grill or grill pan, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Divide the chickpea salad among individual plates and serve with the chicken.
Shortcut: Save on prep and cooking times by using packaged chicken tenders (precut strips of boneless, skinless breast meat) instead of cutting up whole breasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This