I did make a couple major changes to this recipe, but I think even if I had made it as written it wouldn't have been any better. I'm a vegetarian so I used tofu (frozen and pressed); my meat-eater husband thought the recipe wouldn't have been improved with chicken. I also used almond butter since I don't eat peanuts, and the sauce had a chalky texture, I blended it in the food processor. Finally, I used bean thread noodles instead of soba, but the cucumber noodles were just bland, as was the carrot salad. Not a good receipe overall, and lots of prep with the different sauces.
Chicken Kebabs with Cucumber Noodles
Photo: Stephen Devries; Styling: Cindy Barr
Marinated in a little honey, ginger, soy sauce, and peanut oil, Asian-inspired Chicken Kebabs with Cucumber Noodles are paired with cucumber noodles to create an easy weeknight dinner.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 kebab, 3/4 cup noodles, and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 414
- Fat: 21.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 26.1g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 558mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 7 ounces uncooked soba noodles
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste) or chile garlic paste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain. Combine 2 tablespoons vinegar, sesame oil, 1 tablespoon honey, and sugar in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the noodles, onions, and cucumber; toss to combine.
- 2. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ginger, and peanut oil in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Thread chicken evenly onto 4 (10-inch) skewers.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Add kebabs to pan; cook 12 minutes or until done, turning to brown all sides.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, peanut butter, 2 tablespoons water, and sambal oelek in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle mixture over chicken. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with noodles.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine