Delicious, healthy soup - the bacon is a great addition. I make a large batch and freeze it.
Chicken, Kale, and Quinoa Soup
Best mash-up of all your favorites.
We took four of the top recipe search categories from our website--chicken, kale, quinoa, and soup--and combined them into one tasty dish that we think will become your new favorite. Rinse the quinoa to ensure that any bitter coating is removed.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 59 Minutes
- Calories: 262
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 26.6g
- Carbohydrate: 26.3g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Calcium: 147mg
- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- 2. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, carrot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Remove mixture from pan.
- 3. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté 6 minutes or until chicken is browned and done. Stir in onion mixture, chicken stock, bay leaves, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil.
- 4. Place quinoa in a fine sieve; place sieve in a large bowl. Cover quinoa with water. Using your hands, rub grains together for 30 seconds; rinse and drain. Repeat procedure twice. Drain well. Add quinoa to pan; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add kale and thyme to pan; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Discard bay leaves. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with bacon.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note