Delicious flavor combo in a light Mexican option. Instead of pan frying the chimis, I cooked them in a panini grill which made it go faster. Definitely a hit - even for my kids, who generally aren't fans of mushrooms or kale. Made homemade salsa verde the day before, so that made them even more yummy! Will definitely do again.
Chicken, Kale, and Mushroom Chimichangas
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 245mg
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped Lacinato kale
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 ounces preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup ripe peeled avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups chopped grape tomatoes
- 1. Combine stock and chicken in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes or until done. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; let stand 10 minutes. Shred chicken; set aside. Drain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Set aside 2 tablespoons liquid.
- 2. Return remaining cooking liquid to pan. Add salsa verde; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 11 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and cumin; stir with a whisk until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in chicken and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add kale, black pepper, and reserved 2 tablespoons cooking liquid. Cook 2 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally. Add kale mixture to chicken mixture. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each with about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Fold in edges of tortilla; roll up.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat all sides of each chimichanga evenly with cooking spray. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- 5. Combine avocado, milk, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a mini food processor; process until smooth.
- 6. Combine tomatoes, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro, and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice in a bowl; toss. To serve, arrange 1 chimichanga on each of 8 plates. Top with 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado cream and about 1/4 cup tomato salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note