Used leftover chicken so this was quicker prep. Great flavors
Chicken, Kale, and Mushroom Chimichangas
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 245mg
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped Lacinato kale
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 3 ounces preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup ripe peeled avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups chopped grape tomatoes
- 1. Combine stock and chicken in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes or until done. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; let stand 10 minutes. Shred chicken; set aside. Drain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Set aside 2 tablespoons liquid.
- 2. Return remaining cooking liquid to pan. Add salsa verde; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 11 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and cumin; stir with a whisk until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in chicken and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add kale, black pepper, and reserved 2 tablespoons cooking liquid. Cook 2 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally. Add kale mixture to chicken mixture. Divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each with about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Fold in edges of tortilla; roll up.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat all sides of each chimichanga evenly with cooking spray. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- 5. Combine avocado, milk, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a mini food processor; process until smooth.
- 6. Combine tomatoes, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro, and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice in a bowl; toss. To serve, arrange 1 chimichanga on each of 8 plates. Top with 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado cream and about 1/4 cup tomato salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note