- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded process Swiss cheese, divided
- Creamy Cheese Sauce
- Combine chicken and half-and- half in a Dutch oven; cook over low heat 10 minutes, and set aside
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, and stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the hot white sauce into egg yolks; add to remaining hot sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add half of sauce to chicken mixture in Dutch oven; stir well. Pour chicken mixture into a well-greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle mushrooms evenly over chicken mixture. Add onion and 1/4 cup cheese to the remaining sauce; stir well, and pour over mushrooms. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil 6 inches from heat for 7 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes