I just made this yesterday. My husband doesn't like marinara sauce, so this creamy one is perfect for him. I followed it exactly, except I halved the ingredients to make 4 servings since it's just two of us. There isn't enough sauce to cover the top-most layer of noodles, so I would suggest to add a little more milk and soup. Also, parmesan cheese on the top layer makes it a little leathery and crusty. Maybe a mozzarella blended with parmesan would do better. My husband loved it, only thing is, there are no veggies. I served with some slow roasted tomatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. Nice meal!
To shorten prep time, skin, bone, and shred rotisserie chicken; add to sauce.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 260
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 740mg
- Calcium: 295mg
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces, divided
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cooking spray
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles (8 ounces), divided
- 8 ounces thinly sliced 96% fat-free deli ham, chopped, divided
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place broth and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Add chicken; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Combine milk, flour, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; stir well with a whisk until smooth. Add milk mixture to broth in pan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup cheese and parsley, stirring until cheese melts.
- Spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Spoon 3/4 cup sauce evenly over noodles. Top evenly with one-third ham and one-third chicken. Repeat layers twice, ending with noodles. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil very lightly coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove and discard foil; bake 10 minutes or until the cheese lightly browns. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Wine note: With a cue from the dish's overall unfussy character, the ideal wine needs to be inexpensive and uncomplicated. One of my favorite "comfort wines" to go with a comfort food like this is Australian shiraz. Annie's Lane Shiraz 2002 from Australia's Clare Valley ($15) is a simple blast of berriness with a soft texture. -Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles