OMG! Made this tonight and it was delicious! I used a package of skin on bone in thighs (as that's what I had in the freezer). 1/4 c of water and 3/4 c of white wine. Added a thinly sliced, sauteed onion to browned chicken. Subbed a can of artichoke hearts in water from TJ and green olives with pimentos. I peeled the garlic and it softened to a spreadable consistency. Also added a pinch of thyme to the chicken when I browned it. Made a wonderful gravy. Hubby licked his plate clean.
Chicken Halves with Artichokes and Garlic
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 454
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 43g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Sodium: 767mg
- Cholesterol: 127mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (4 lb.) chicken, halved, backbone removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 whole garlic cloves with skins on
- 5 large artichoke hearts (see "Prep Hearts" below; 3 1/2 lbs. total), quartered
- 1 cup unpitted green olives
- 5 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken all over with salt and lay in hot oil, skin side down. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and add 1 cup water, the garlic, and artichokes.
- 2. Roast chicken in oven, uncovered, until cooked through, about 1 hour. Add olives and parsley.
- Prep hearts: Snap off thick green outer leaves down to yellowish core. Halve artichokes crosswise; discard thorny tips. Trim stem to about 1/2 in. and peel tough outer skin from remaining stem. Halve artichoke lengthwise; scoop out and discard fuzzy, red-tipped choke. Put hearts in cold water with a little lemon juice and set aside until you're ready to cook.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note