- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large (4 lb.) chicken, halved, backbone removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 whole garlic cloves with skins on
- 5 large artichoke hearts (see "Prep Hearts" below; 3 1/2 lbs. total), quartered
- 1 cup unpitted green olives
- 5 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- calories 454
- caloriesfromfat 51 %
- protein 43 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 6.3 g
- carbohydrate 13 g
- fiber 6.2 g
- sodium 767 mg
- cholesterol 127 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken all over with salt and lay in hot oil, skin side down. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and add 1 cup water, the garlic, and artichokes.
Roast chicken in oven, uncovered, until cooked through, about 1 hour. Add olives and parsley.
Prep hearts: Snap off thick green outer leaves down to yellowish core. Halve artichokes crosswise; discard thorny tips. Trim stem to about 1/2 in. and peel tough outer skin from remaining stem. Halve artichoke lengthwise; scoop out and discard fuzzy, red-tipped choke. Put hearts in cold water with a little lemon juice and set aside until you're ready to cook.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.