The secret to this steak's crispy crust is crumbled saltine crackers. To achieve a crispy outside and a tender inside, firmly push the cracker crumbs into the cube steak to fill crevices and to keep the steak from shrinking as it cooks.
Oxmoor House OCTOBER 2013
1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through crackers) in a shallow bowl. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in another shallow bowl, stirring with a whisk.
2. Heat canola oil in a cast-iron or other nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil shimmers.
3. Coat cube steaks with cracker mixture; dip in buttermilk mixture, then coat again in cracker mixture, pressing into steaks. Use all the cracker mixture.
4. Cook steaks until brown and crispy, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove steaks from pan, and place on a rack over a baking sheet.
5. To prepare gravy, place milk in a medium bowl. Whisk 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper into milk. Pour mixture into pan, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly and scraping pan to loosen browned bits, about 5 minutes or until gravy is thick. Serve gravy over steaks.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Go to full version of