Very delicious! I had to use ground beef which seemed to substitute nicely
Chicken-fried steak is a down-home, 5-ingredient main dish that's easier to prepare than you may think. Simply coat cubed steaks in seasoned flour, fry in hot vegetable oil until golden brown, and serve with a delicious homemade gravy.
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds cubed round steaks
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Vegetable oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
- Stir together remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1 1/2 cups flour in a shallow dish. Stir baking soda into 1 cup water in a bowl.
- Dip each steak in water mixture, and dredge in flour mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large heavy skillet; heat to 360°. Fry steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225° oven. Drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Whisk remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/4 cup flour into drippings in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat 1 minute. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note