Was very yummy!!! Made it tonight, fairly easy though it was my first time ever making it. I've never liked chicken fried steak til now! :) Thanks for making me super mom tonight!
More From Southern Living
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) cube steaks
- 38 saltine crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 3/4 cups milk, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups peanut oil
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
- Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360°. (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225° oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes