I really loved this...a nice, summer-y twist on enchiladas! I made as stated, except I cooked up and shredded a boneless chicken breast (instead of rotisserie chicken) and then I also included the whole jalapeno (sans stem) in the salsa...so my salsa had a really nice heat to it, which complimented the enchiladas really well. Served this with ripe melon -- a nice summer treat!
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Salsa
Photo: Lisa Hubbard; Styling: Sara Quessenberry
More From Real Simple
Other: 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 809
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 59g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Sugars: 9g
- Fiber: 10g
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Sodium: 1121mg
- Cholesterol: 161mg
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, onion, and corn and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the chicken, Monterey Jack, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining oil over medium heat. One at a time, cook the tortillas in the oil until softened, 10 to 15 seconds per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas, roll them up, and place seam-side down in a large baking dish. Bake until heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
In a food processor, pulse the tomatillos, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. Serve the enchiladas with the salsa and sour cream, if using.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This