I really loved this...a nice, summer-y twist on enchiladas! I made as stated, except I cooked up and shredded a boneless chicken breast (instead of rotisserie chicken) and then I also included the whole jalapeno (sans stem) in the salsa...so my salsa had a really nice heat to it, which complimented the enchiladas really well. Served this with ripe melon -- a nice summer treat!
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Salsa
Photo: Lisa Hubbard; Styling: Sara Quessenberry
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 5 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 809
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 59g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Sugars: 9g
- Fiber: 10g
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Sodium: 1121mg
- Cholesterol: 161mg
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, onion, and corn and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the chicken, Monterey Jack, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining oil over medium heat. One at a time, cook the tortillas in the oil until softened, 10 to 15 seconds per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas, roll them up, and place seam-side down in a large baking dish. Bake until heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
In a food processor, pulse the tomatillos, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. Serve the enchiladas with the salsa and sour cream, if using.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note