A big hit!!! The prep time is a bit long so plan ahead but as the other review says, it was well worth it! Just allow plenty of time to put together as there are many steps. It definitely is going in the make again file.
Chicken Enchiladas Verde
1993 Recipe Hall of Fame
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
More From Southern Living
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 23 fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 10 corn tortillas
- Verde Sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- Red Pepper Purée
- Bring first 3 ingredients and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add tomatillos, and cook 5 more minutes. Remove chicken and tomatillos, reserving broth for Verde Sauce and Mexican Pinto Beans. Bone and shred chicken. Chop 7 tomatillos, reserving remaining tomatillos for Verde Sauce.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until tender. Add chopped tomatillos and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 5 minutes. Add chicken, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water in tortilla package. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute.
- Dip each tortilla in Verde Sauce. Place about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; top with remaining sauce, spreading to ends of tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and feta cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours, if desired; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Bake, covered, at 425° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with Red Pepper Purée.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes