Delicious green chicken chili encased in a tortilla topped with a cheesy sauce. These reheat well. I tried some using corn tortillas which disintegrated into the sauce so I don't recommend using them. I added salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin to both the chicken mixture and sauce mixture! Delish. Will make again!
Photo: Howard Lee Puckett; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 55 Minutes
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 (4-oz.) cans diced green chiles, divided
- 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded colby-Jack cheese blend, divided
- 8 (8-inch) soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Toppings: fresh cilantro leaves, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir together onion mixture, chicken, 1 can diced green chiles, and 2 cups shredded cheese. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cupful chicken mixture on 1 end of each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, melt remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining 2 cans green chiles.
- 5. Remove enchiladas from oven. Pour green chile mixture over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note