Excellent. A family & crowd favorite for years.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red bell pepper
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 10 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often; add sliced onions, and cook 20 minutes or until caramelized. Reduce heat to low, and add chopped chicken and next 4 ingredients, stirring until combined. Set aside.
- Pulse chiles and next 5 ingredients in blender or food processor several times until combined.
- Bring chile mixture and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. (Mixture should be the consistency of a thin gravy.) Remove from heat, and stir in salsa.
- Spread one third chile mixture evenly on bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly down center of each tortilla; roll up, and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Top with remaining chile mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Note: Freeze chile mixture and filled tortillas separately up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Prepare and bake as directed.
- To lighten: Substitute 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, 2% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, and fat-free tortillas.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This