Great flavor, however even with only using 12 tortillas found that when they are soaked and then baked they totally break down. Next time would make more filling. Felt like I was eating a tamale.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Mix all your favorite Mexican flavors into one easy chicken enchilada casserole. It's great to make ahead and tastes even better the day after.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 casserole slice and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 353
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.8g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 734mg
- Calcium: 396mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup prechopped fresh onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, divided
- 18 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (8 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (16-ounce) jar green salsa
- 10 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prechopped onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in cumin, chili powder, garlic salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in beans; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chicken, 1/2 cup green onions, and 7 tablespoons ripe olives; stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Layer 6 tortillas on bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 6 tortillas.
- Combine milk, chopped cilantro, and salsa in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour over top of tortillas. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining 1/2 cup green onions, and remaining 1 tablespoon olives. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles