I've made this a number of times from a Cooking Light recipe book, liking it very well (as have others to whom I've served it). Reading the other reviews, I'd have to agree that preparing it took a bit longer than we'd all like and kids are not as appreciative of it as are the grownups. Still, it's really good, so I will make it again and again. Just might need to remember it's better suited to when I have more prep. time available.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
HOWARD L. PUCKETT
This hearty casserole features favorite Mexican flavors like chiles, cumin, coriander, and of course–lots of cheese! Serve with refried beans or Spanish rice for a complete meal.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 309
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 28.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 753mg
- Calcium: 324mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten or 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper, and tomatoes; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir remaining green onions, remaining olives, and chiles into chicken mixture; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, cumin, and coriander in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.
- Place cheeses in a bowl; toss well. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of a 2 1/2-quart round casserole or soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup white sauce, and 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture aside.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, reserved green onions, and reserved olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
- NOTE: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350º for 1 hours or until bubbly. Or freeze casserole, thaw in refrigerator 24 hours, then bake for 1 hour or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note