- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten or 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- calories 309
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 9.7 g
- satfat 5.1 g
- monofat 2.9 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 28.7 g
- carbohydrate 26.6 g
- fiber 2.6 g
- cholesterol 63 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 753 mg
- calcium 324 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.
Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper, and tomatoes; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir remaining green onions, remaining olives, and chiles into chicken mixture; set aside.
Combine flour, salt, cumin, and coriander in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.
Place cheeses in a bowl; toss well. Set aside.
Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of a 2 1/2-quart round casserole or soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup white sauce, and 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture aside.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, reserved green onions, and reserved olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
NOTE: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350º for 1 hours or until bubbly. Or freeze casserole, thaw in refrigerator 24 hours, then bake for 1 hour or until thoroughly heated.