Loved this version! The dumplings were nice and light rather than heavy and gooey. I didn't have a leek so I skipped that part and dumped in a bunch if ither veggies like corn, carrots, and bell peppers. Also added Mrs. Dash. I used approximately 48 oz of broth to accommodate all the add-ins. Yum!
Chicken and Dumplings
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 362
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 825mg
- Calcium: 213mg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (about 12 ounces)
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped parsnip
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge the chicken in flour mixture, and turn to coat; shake off excess flour. Add the chicken to the pot; cook 3 minutes on each side, or until well-browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add leeks to pot; cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Return chicken to pot, and stir in broth, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pan. Pull the meat from bones; discard bones. Return the chicken to the pot, and stir in peas.
- To prepare the dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt 3 times (this makes the dumplings very light). Combine the flour mixture, milk, and chives, and stir until moist.
- Drop dough by 3 tablespoonfuls into a barely simmering chicken mixture. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 12 minutes, or until the dumplings are done (do not bring to a boil, or the dumplings will break up).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes