In the early part of the 20th century, chicken divan was the signature dish of the elegant Divan Parisien in New York’s Chatham Hotel. Years later, the Campbell Soup Company redeveloped the recipe for the back of the can of condensed cream of chicken soup. This version skips the can, which reduces the sodium.
Oxmoor House OCTOBER 2013
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine. Bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
3. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in stock and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 7 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let stand 3 minutes.
4. Stir in cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Stir in broccoli and chicken. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese over top of casserole. Sprinkle panko over cheese; coat panko with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese over panko.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Go to full version of